Serve a Meal
Help your neighbors and have fun doing it! Preparing and serving a meal is our most popular volunteer activity and we love to welcome new groups!
Tutoring, helping with a job search and resume writing, volunteering at an event, educational internships and faith-based activities are just some of the opportunities we have for you to help your homeless neighbors.
You can help your neighbors in need by donating new or gently used items.
LET’S GET STARTED
***To ensure the health and safety of clients and volunteers, we are currently unable to accept volunteers but hope to resume shortly. If you are a licensed medical professional looking to assist with COVID-19, please contact Emily Knight-Smith at EmilyKnight-Smith@sulzbacherjax.org before beginning the application process
Volunteering as an individual or as part of a group? Follow these steps to get the process going.
Complete a background screening. Visit Verified Volunteers, create and account, and use the code ypcc94o. We ask that all of our volunteers cover the $8.00 processing fee. If you are part of a group, only the group leader needs to complete the screening. If your group is volunteering with our children, each member of the group must complete the screening.
After your background screening has cleared (approximately 5-7 days), our Volunteer Coordinator will reach out to you to fill out the Volunteer Application.
After your application is complete, you will be scheduled for a Volunteer Orientation.
After your orientation, you will be ready to begin volunteering!
- It can take up to 2 weeks to complete the entire process, but this is necessary to keep our residents safe
- We are unable to work with court-mandated volunteers
- Kids 12 to 17 years of age must be accompanied by an adult at all times
Thank you for taking the first step to becoming an official Sulzbacher volunteer!
For more information or if you need assistance with the process, contact Emily Knight-Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org
We greatly appreciate you donating your time and heart to ending homelessness one person at a time!
MOST NEEDED ITEMS LIST
Many people come to us with only the clothes on their backs, so a great way to get involved and help your homeless neighbors is by buying or collecting something off of our wish list. Do a donation drive at your school, church or business, or buy things right off our Amazon Wish List and have them shipped directly to us! We will make sure your donation goes directly to the people that need it most.
• New hygiene products – travel and full size
• New twin sheets and blankets
• New towels and washcloths
• Diapers in all sizes & baby wipes
• New baby items: pack and plays, potty seats, highchairs and strollers
• Feminine hygiene products
• New socks and underwear for adults and children in all sizes
• Used bicycles can be dropped off with our friends at ZenCog in Riverside. They will refurbish the bike, get it in good working order and deliver it directly to Sulzbacher for the people who need it the most
We do not operate a thrift store, so we regret that we are unable to accept:
• Used clothing, stuffed animals, toys and games
• Used books, videos or DVDs
• Used baby equipment as some items may have been recalled due to safety concerns